Thursday, March 25, 2010

Abundant Life (Rich and Satisfying Life)

“The thief’s purpose is to steal and kill and destroy. My purpose is to give them a rich and satisfying life.” (John 10:10 – NLT) “I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.” – (John 10:10 – NKJV)

Driving home from Phoenix with Cassie and Allen’s wedding over gave me three days to reflect on everything that transpired over the last two weeks. I am extremely confident that Cassie and Allen are off on the right path together as husband and wife. I could see it in their interactions together, how they consulted each other and most significantly how they included Christ in all their decisions.

So I am trying to get readjusted to the time zone, along with the time change, and back into some kind of routine, I started this morning with this verse for my devotion time. I have spent most of the day contemplating this verse and how it ties in with what is happening, or has happened in my recent life. I think God is telling me as long as He is the center of our lives and all we do, He will be there to watch over us, in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health, in poverty and wealth. That being Christian has nothing to do with our comfort or happiness here in this world. Being Christian has more to do with spiritual welfare, with eternal comfort and happiness, and until we realize this we will never be happy, comfortable or satisfied. Please continue reading to see if you come to the same conclusions.

Chapter 10 of John’s Gospel, Jesus is speaking to why he came, to give life. Jesus is using the illustration of a shepherd and his sheep because it is deeply embedded in the culture of Jewish people of that day. He is also referring to Old Testament scripture where God is the shepherd of Israel.

Verse ten Christ says that the purpose of “the thief” (Satan) is too steal, kill, and destroy, and that He came to give them (us) a “rich and satisfying” (NLT): “more abundantly” (NKJV) life. I do not believe that Christ is concerned with “the thief” stealing our belongings or killing His sheep (followers) physical bodies, or even destroying our (His) physical property, homes, church buildings or anything temporal.

Christ is concerned with something much more valuable, US, His sheep. The rich and satisfying (abundant) life Christ is concerned with is our spiritual richness that extends far beyond the temporal limits of this world.
The endless wealth that Christ offers to all those that seek it and claim it, is offered abundantly!

As Christians (followers – believers- of Christ) we must claim the riches of Jesus Christ every day. We also need to share His wealth (blessings) with everyone that we come into contact with. After all this was His last command to us!

“Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and the Holy Spirit. Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you.” (Matthew 28:19:20 - NLT)

Bill Hybels wrote:
Instead of living a black-and-white existence, we’ll be released into a Technicolor world of vibrancy and emotion when we more accurately reflect His nature to the world around us.

Jehovah Rohi (The Lord is my Shepherd – Psalm 23:1), the One who gives us the treasured gift of life abundantly through your Son our Lord and Life Giver. Thank You Father for the bountiful life that you have given to me. Assists me Father in accepting Christ gifts, sanction me to use these gifts to always exalt You. Father, as Cassie and Allen begin their life together I beseech you to always be in their hearts, to be in the middle of all their life. Here in a few days Lord Allen will be returning to Iraq, I beg you Elohim (Powerful God) to watch over him, to bring him home safely to reunite Cassie and Allen to give them a long and Christ centered life together. I know Father all is in your hands and for your purpose, in the midst of my calling out to you I ask that these things come to pass if it be Your will, but in the end Most High I pray for Your will, Your kingdom. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment