Sunday, March 28, 2010

False teaching...

If you explain these things to the brothers and sisters, Timothy, you will be a worthy servant of Christ Jesus, one who is nourished by the message of faith and the good teaching you have followed. (I Timothy 4:6 – NLT)

Nourished by the message of faith and the good teaching you have followed… it is very disturbing to me that this country was founded on solid biblical principle and for over two hundred years this country thrived, sure we went through some difficult times, but we stood, for the most part, on Godly teachings, we prayed together and alone. We were a community of believers that worked, played, went to school and church together. We were welcome in each other’s homes; we knew one another intimately, we truly cared for one another.

Over the last 20 or so years it seems that we have become more concerned with our self rather than others, we read how to improve our existence here, which is short and will end before we know it, we are not interested at all about our life with Christ which is forever. We are obsessed with our comfort now, how we feel, how we dress, how we live, what we eat, and what the stranger walking past us on the street thinks about us.

We have to start being concerned what God thinks about us, what God says about how we should live, what we should do. Who’s teaching are we following, the Holy Spirit or the demons that run wild on this earth. Who is our idol, Christ or Satan? Are we following false teaching!?

Look at what Paul says to Timothy about this very subject in his first letter to Timothy in 1 Timothy.

Paul’s apostolic career is coming to an end, recognizing this Paul sees a somber disturbance upsetting a long established Christian church. Some of the church leaders have become false teachers, something Paul has warned would happen. The impact of these false teachers began to threaten the life and well being of the Christian community, some one skillful was needed to restore order to God’s household, Paul believes Timothy, his trusted delegate, is the person for this task.

In this first letter to Timothy, Paul is very concerned for the well being of the church in Ephesus, some of the leaders had begun teaching contrary to scripture. Paul starts right away talking about the false teachers and encourages Timothy on how to deal with false teaching, how false teaching leads “to meaningless speculations, which don’t help people live a life of faith in God.” (Verse 1:4)

In chapter 4 Paul talks about the warning from the Holy Spirit about false teachers. Paul explains, “the Holy Spirit tells us clearly that in the last times some will turn away from the true faith; they will follow deceptive spirits and teachings that come from demons.” (Verse 4:1) Very boldly Paul states in verse 3; “These people are hypocrites and liars, and their consciences are dead.” Strong language coming from Paul here, he understands that truth is most important, not money or fame, not even our feelings, truth!!

In verses 6-16 Paul is telling Timothy that he must respond to the false teachers. Training worthy servants involves a whole pattern of conduct which is modeled by Paul and based wholly on sound doctrine. Good teaching unifies word and deed, belief and behavior. (Phil 4:9)

We have become a people more concerned with “political correctness” over “biblical correctness” we have to ask ourselves, what is more important, saving someone’s feelings or saving someone’s life? Are we doing a person any favors by sparing their feelings here and now or by giving them truth that could save their life?

"When I shut up the heavens so that there is no rain, or command locusts to devour the land or send a plague among my people, if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land. (2 Chronicles 7:13-14)

My question is are we going to do as Paul instructed Timothy by teaching truth in Christ, are we going to be nourished by the message of faith and good teaching or are we going to be fooled into believing that our feelings and needs here and now are more important? Do we refer to scripture or do we just blindly follow whatever we are told? Do we study scripture or rely on what others say scripture says? Are we followers of Christ, followers of the Truth and Life, or are we one of the false teachers Paul talks about in his letter to Timothy.

Father, the giver of truth and life, You have given me instruction on how to live here and now and for endless life with You. Give me the wisdom to use scripture, Your words Elohim, to live by, to follow and to lead by. Guide me Abba, through this life that I may be Your light, Your example of truth, Your message of faith and good teaching. Father keep me in Your word daily, help me study it, meditate on it, digest it as if it were the most important nourishment I have, because it is Lord. I trust in You alone, You are the Wonderful Counselor, I trust that You will speak to me through Your Holy Word, I trust You will speak to me through Godly leaders, I trust You will speak to me through the Holy Spirit. I ask Father that You and You alone guide my steps, my thoughts, and my actions. I lay this prayer before You in the name of Your Son, the Lord of Lords, the One You Anointed, Christ Jesus. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment