Monday, March 8, 2010

Love, the very nature of God

Three things will last forever – faith, hope, and love – and the greatest of these is love. (1 Corinthians 13:13)

Here we see that faith, hope and love are elevated above spiritual gifts because they “will last forever.” It seems that almost everything I have read in the past few weeks has talked about love and how this is a commandment from God. Faith and hope are indispensable but “love” is the “greatest,” we are commanded to love one another just as Christ has loved us (read, John 13:24). We are not advised to, or encouraged to… we are commanded to love. This is an enormous responsibility, but as Christ followers we are obligated to live according to this command from God.

I have learned through scripture that love is the quintessential nature of God himself. Jesus Christ demonstrated this at Cavalry, when He gave His life on the Cross opening a door for us granting us access to the Father. We are called upon to return His love by sharing it. Starting today, let us share the love of Christ with our families, friends, lets even share it with total strangers! If we do this others might come to know Him, who chose us. What a powerful way to love God, allow Him to reach others through us. I can think of no better way to bring glory to my Savior than to share Him.

Loving Father,
I understand that loving you and one another is a command from you. Father, I do not have the strength or the wisdom to carry out this commandment on my own. Please Father; help me to always remember that love is a gift from You, a costly gift, and one that I can never earn or repay. Give me the guidance I need to cultivate love and to treasure this precious gift, now and always. I pray this in the name of the one who showed us how to love, Your Son, Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment