Friday, September 12, 2014

Groans to Glory

25 But if we hope for what we don't see, we eagerly wait for it with perseverance. 26 At the same time the Spirit also helps us in our weakness, because we don't know how to pray for what we need. But the Spirit intercedes along with our groans that cannot be expressed in words. 27 The one who searches our hearts knows what the Spirit has in mind. The Spirit intercedes for God's people the way God wants him to. 28 We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God--those whom he has called according to his plan. ~ Romans 8:25-28 (God’s Word Translation)

How does one hope for something they cannot see? I think to answer that question we must ask, what is it we are hoping for? As a Christian I am looking forward and hoping for the day of Christ return! I can hope for this without seeing it because God promises it. That is how we hope and how we wait eagerly with perseverance. As we wait we are encouraged to pray to God for our needs, our hopes and dreams, we are also encouraged to tell God when we are happy and sad, when we are encouraged and when we are discouraged. However here Paul tells us that when it comes to our needs we are ignorant, that we cannot intelligently talk to God that the Holy Spirit intercedes for us with groans that we cannot even express or understand. That Christ who knows our heart understands what the Holy Spirit wants for us. Are we not a blessed people that have a God that has sent us His Holy Spirit not only to empower us but to watch over us and intercede on our behalf? This truly frees me from worrying about what to say when I pray because God tells me it is not my words but my heart that He hears, it is not my words but my heart that the Holy Spirit interprets on my behalf.

Paul expounds on this by reminding us that all things work together for our benefit, for the benefit of those who love Him, for the benefit of all those called according to His plan. I get goose bumps (or should I say God bumps) reading this in Romans, that God has worked out a plan that not only is for His good but includes me! We know that we can only love Him because He first loved us taking the entire burden off of me, taking it upon Him. To pay for my sins, forgive me and then love me with a love that empowers and equips me to love Him and do the work He has designed for me. To send His all-powerful Holy Spirit to watch over me, to strengthen me and now I understand, to intercede for me. My what and awesome God we have indeed! Amen. <><

No comments:

Post a Comment